Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Chickpea Salad

I, Erin, am a magazine addict. Since I could learn to read, I have been reading magazines. When I was a kid, I would accompany whoever was going to the grocery store because I knew at the end, I could throw one in at the checkout line. I subscribe to insane amounts of magazines and still always pick one up at the grocery store. Being out of town for a month and collecting an actual calendar-month's worth of mail made me realize just how many magazines I subscribe to: 8. This puts me at about 2 mags per week, which I guess is about right. My addiction is so strong that I sometimes find myself subscribing to magazines that I have little interest in, which is why for some reason I subscribe to "Fitness" magazine. Regardless, I flipped through it last night and found a great recipe for a chickpea salad, which I made for lunch today. It was awesome, so I thought I'd share.

Chickpea Salad

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
1T lime juice
1t dijon mustard
1 minced garlic clove

Salad:
2 cups chickpeas (I used canned)
4 artichoke hearts, peeled apart
4 sundried tomatoes, chopped
10 or so halved cherry tomatoes
handful of scallions
handful of basil
Parmesan cheese

Mix all dressing ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Then add chickpeas, artichokes, tomatoes, scallions, and basil and mix well. Top with a meager grating of Parmesan cheese. The recipe calls for 2 ounces, but I only used one.

And, if you're like me and counting calories:
Serves 4, 274 calories, 10g protein, 22g carbohydrates, 17g fat, 6 g fiber.

Bon Appetit!

*Edited to add: next time, I'd go light on the olive oil. The marinade from the artichokes adds quite a bit and we ended up with a big puddle of oil at the bottom of our bowl.

No comments: